Ian S. Rankin
HIGHLIGHTS OF QUALIFICATIONS:
- Competent and experienced with modeling, animation, anatomy of humans and animals, life drawing, quick gesture drawing, and thumbnails.
- Created python and mel tools in a studio environment. Maximized re-usability and flexibility through object oriented code creation.
- Experience as a lead managing people and working out issues with different departments.
- Familiar with basics of vector math.
- Organized and easy to work with in teams. Dedicated to making projects a success.
Maya Mel Script
3D Studio Max
April 2011 March Entertainment: Mia and Me
To Nov 2011 Lead Character Finaling / Sim / Python & Mel Script tool creation
· Resolved challenging maya scene file issues when required. Some challenges included hair and cloth simulation in maya. Show had lots of simulations.
· Challenged with establishing CHF in mid production. First lead position.
· Created notes to guide the team through consistency and technical issues.
· Responsible for all material entering lighting, reduced re-rendering.
· Created tools in python where permitted to increase teams output.
· Production goes on to win the 2011 Licensing challenge at MIPCOM.
Jan 2011 Hatch Studio: Heart & Stroke Lottery Commercial
To Feb 2011 Animation
· Animated assets using 3DSMAX for a heart and stroke Lottery commercial.
Jan 2009 Starz Animation: Gnomeo & Juliet (Stereoscopic) Feature Film, Disney Animation
To Aug 2010 Foliage Rigging & Animation / Mel & Python script tool creation
· Created automated animation and rigging tools through script. Met standards in place for Starz pipeline. Found ways to reduce manual repetitive tasks.
· Created over 400 foliage rigs of varying complexity and generated their animation meeting the different needs of each shot.
· Used Houdini and Maya for instanced assets to minimize render times.
· Aided FX with extra shots using a pre-setup FX rig during down time.
July 2008 Starz Animation Canada: Hoodwinked 2 CG Feature Film
To Jan 2009 Character Finaling / Mel Script
· Mel scripted automation tools for the ‘Character Finaling’ (CHF) process.
· Solved technical issues in scenes. Prepped shots for render, troubleshooted render farm submissions, and fixed geo intersections.
June 2008 Starz Animation Canada: ‘9’ CG Feature Film.
To July 2008 Character Finaling
· First introduction to the starz pipeline. Solve technical issues in scenes. Fixed geo intersections, prepped shot for render, and troubleshoot render farm submissions.
Feb 2007 Guru Studio Canada: Backyardigans CG Animated TV Series
To March 2008 Character Animator /Rigging / Mel Script
· Animated characters on Backyardigans. This show went on to win both an Emmy and Gemini for best kids show that year.
· Also Rigged, Mel scripted automated tools and animation aids. Helped solve technical issues in scenes.
June 2005 Guru Studio Canada: TV Commercial
To Sep 2005 Modeler/ Rigger/ Character Animator
· Rigged and modeled, props and layouts. Also rigged a major character in the commercial.
· Animated characters and props for Kraft Dinner commercial.
June 2002 Calibre Digital Canada: TV series
To Jan 2003 Character Animator
· Animated characters for “Hey Joel” television show (VH1 a division of MTV)
· Created rough animation, props, layouts and performed “clean-up” on my work and other animators work
Oct 2011 - Dec 2011 CGscociety python script course with Shaun Friedberg, TD Weta Digital.
Jan 2005 - Feb 2007 Toastmasters public speaking challenges, formal meeting arrangements.
Sep 2003 - Apr 2004 Sheridan College - CG Character Animation course (full-time)
Jan 2003 - Aug 2003 Sheridan College - CG Computer Animation General (full-time)
Sep 1999 - Apr 2002 Sheridan College - 2D Classical Animation, Art Fundamentals (full-time)
1997 - 98 (part time) Sheridan College
- Anatomy for Animators - Painting 1
- Animation Basics (Classes 1 to 4) - Animation Story Boarding
- Animation Layout and Design
Sep 1994 - June 1998 Sinclair Secondary School - Ontario Secondary School Diploma
2003 - DreamWorks Digital Character Animation Scholarship
1998 - Artistic Aspiration Award of Durham Region (multimedia/animation)
1996 - Computer Programming First Place Award for Durham Region (education and recreation)
Worked on several projects that explored scripted tools and automated rigs. Side projects included free lancing and helping friends with personal projects.
REFERENCES & REFERENCE LETTERS: Available upon request.